This month's featured recipe for Fried Sweet Plantains was contributed by Collington's Independent Living Social Worker, Phoebe Graham. We invite you to submit your recipe to Collingtonsocial@gmail.com to be showcased in our "My Favorite Recipes" feature in our monthly newsletter.
Fried Sweet Plantains
• 2 Yellow Plantains (Yellow Plantains are sweet, Green plantains are not)
• Vegetable oil of choice
• Frying pan
• Prepare Serving plate with a 3-4 sheets of paper towels on it
• Peel the plantains using a knife
• Cut each plantain in half
• Then take each half and hold knife at an angel to make 3 elongated (vertical) slices or diagonal slices
• Add Vegetable oil (enough to Pan fry, NOT Deep Fry) (about 3 - 4 tablespoon, add a little if needed)
• Heat oil between low and medium fire until hot (Note if the fire is too low they will be soggy, if too high they will cook too fast on the outside and not on the inside)
• Place plantain slices in heated oil, cook for 2 minutes (or until golden brown).
• Flip to other side and cook for another 2 minutes
• Remove cooked plantains and place them on the serving plate, let rest on paper towel for 2-3 minutes to drain the oil)
• Sprinkle plantains with a touch of salt (optional), but it does help to balance the flavor.
Happy cooking! - Phoebe Graham
Submit Your Recipe to Collingtonsocial@gmail.com to be showcased in our "My Favorite Recipes" feature in our monthly newsletter.