Are you getting ready to make the move to a senior living community? Moving into a new home can be stressful and a lot of work, so we’re here to help you pick the most important items to take with you.
One of the most important things to remember before you move is that you are most likely downsizing. Trying to take every item that you had in your previous home will leave your place feeling cluttered. Before narrowing down what the most important items to take with you are, spend time going through your home and get rid of anything that won’t serve you well.
The easiest way to tackle your must-have list is by breaking it down into sections or rooms. We’ve created a checklist to help you decide what’s a must-have and what you can live without.
- Do you plan on doing a lot of cooking? If so, be sure to bring items like pots, pans, plates and bowls, and utensils.
- Is tea or coffee something you can’t start your day without? Be sure to bring along your favorite teapot or coffee maker so you can have it just the way you like it!
- Consider packing a few favorite mugs or glasses.
- A nice warm comforter is definitely a must-have item to have in your apartment, this will help it feel more home-like and will create a more inviting bedroom environment.
- Do you have trouble sleeping without some white noise? Don’t forget your white noise machine, fan, or whatever item you use to help you nod off to sleep.
- If you’re a light sleeper and sunlight in the morning wakes you up, don’t forget to bring some blackout curtains so you can enjoy sleeping in without interruption!
- Find out if your floors will be hardwood or carpeted, if they are hardwood and you tend to get cold, think about bringing along a nice rug to keep you warm.
- Do you like watching TV before bed? Consider bringing along a small TV to place in your room to make it feel more like home.
- Are there any pieces of artwork in your home that you cherish? Bring them along to create a space that feels familiar to you.
- If you have a favorite blanket or throw pillow bring it along to add some color and life into your home.
- Adding curtains can always make a space feel more comfortable, bring some to put up upon your arrival!
Hopefully this list has helped you decide on a few must-haves for your new home, and to recognize what you might be able to live without. Moving into a new space is an exciting time where you can start fresh and make it exactly what you want. Enjoy the process and find ways to make it your very own!